20-21 June 2018
26-27 June 2018
Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
What’s WoodFlow 2018?
The Woodflow series is Australasia’s premier technology event run every two years. It provides insights into innovations and new tools being developed and employed by leading forestry, wood products and transport companies.
The objective, with 30% – 40% of delivered log costs being contributed by transport, is to profile the very latest technologies for moving wood from the forest through to the log yard, processing plant, port or market. New initiatives and operating practices being employed to improve planning, logistics & operations within the wood supply chain are also showcased.
The FIEA event is run every two years. It’s run in both Australia and New Zealand. In 2017, the wood harvesting event, HarvestTECH, was sold out. Over 450 logging contractors, forestry managers and key suppliers attended. It was the largest event of its type yet seen in New Zealand. In September 2016, over 250 harvesting contractors, wood transport operators and planners attended FIEA’s Wood Flow Optimisation event.
The 2018 event will be building on the success, momentum and feedback provided by industry over the last two years.
- Disruptive technologies reshaping business operations within the wood supply chain
- Innovations around log scaling, measurement and tracking
- Remote sensing and real-time tracking of logs and wood products
- Innovative systems to integrate planning, operations, harvesting, transport & sales
- Advances in automated log measurement and materials handling
- Telematic tools to better drive improved fleet productivity and safety
- New digital platforms to improve data connectivity and data transfer
- Electric fleet, autonomous trucking and platooning technologies
- Opportunities with robotics, augmented and virtual reality & machine learning
- Utilisation of smart harvester production and productivity data
- Health and safety initiatives around forestry and wood transport operations
Who Will Attend?
The New Zealand and Australian wood processing industry, including:
- Harvesting and wood flow planners
- Wood harvesting and haulage contractors
- Transport operators
- Forestry managers
- Forest owners
- Technical foresters
- Forestry consultants
- Forestry researchers
- Wood supply chain and logistics companies
- Key suppliers to forestry, wood harvesting & transport operations
We have worked closely with a wide range of New Zealand, Australian and international companies, service suppliers, researchers and government bodies to develop a strong and innovative programme. If you have any questions about the programme, please contact the Brent Apthorp on email@example.com or (+64) 3 470 1902.
Programme at a Glance
Pre-Conference Workshop – 19 June 2018, Australia | 25 June 2018, New Zealand
- Cloud-based Operations Management
- Transport Planning Workshop
Conference Day One – 20 June 2018, Australia | 26 June 2018, New Zealand
- Session 1: Disruptive Technologies & Emerging Issues that are reshaping the Wood Supply Chain
- Session 2: Log Scaling, Measurement & Tracking Innovations
- Session 3: Forest to Market – Optimising Harvesting, Transport & Delivery Technologies
Conference Day Two – 21 June 2018, Australia | 27 June 2018, New Zealand
- Session 3: Forest to Market – Optimising Harvesting, Transport & Delivery Technologies contd.
- Session 4: Optimising Forest Products Planning for the Wood Supply Chain
- Session 5: Safety, Training & R&D Initiatives
Melbourne, Australia – Tuesday 19 June 2018 | Rotorua, New Zealand – Monday 25 June 2018
1.30 – 2.30pm | Workshop 1
2.30 – 3.00pm | Afternoon Tea
3.00 – 5.00pm | Workshop 2
5.00 – 6.00pm | Pre-Conference Registration, Networking & Drinks
Conference delegates also have the opportunity of registering for two pre-conference workshops. Both are free to Woodflow 2018 conference delegates and both run on the afternoon before the main conference runs at each venue.
Both workshops include afternoon tea and pre-conference registration, networking & drinks.
Note: Interest in attending the workshops can be made on registration. Space for each workshop is likely to be limited. Registrations will be taken on a first come-first served basis.
Workshop 1: Cloud-based Operations Management | 1.30-2.30pm
This workshop is being run by Remsoft, Canada
Transforming your operations by planning across the enterprise, working against real time data, and collaborating on a cloud platform.
Forestry companies need to capture, analyze and manage their supply chain operations on a daily and weekly basis. This complex process to maximize profit, generate efficient operations management and provide critical decision-making data is conducted on spreadsheets in most companies.
Learn how companies can now integrate a cloud-based operational planning and management system into their business. See how operations users can work efficiently in a streamlined environment; and how management can use business analytics to react quickly and drive timely business improvements. Remsoft will provide a vision for how a management and planning environment can make the leap forward into an integrated solution.
Workshop 2: Transport Planning | 3.00-5.00pm
This workshop is being run by the Australian Forest Operations Research Alliance (University of the Sunshine Coast) and Trimble Logistics
Effective planning to improve the efficiency of transport operations
Transport operations can account for up to half of the delivered costs. Effective planning of transport operations at tactical and operational level is crucial to deliver the right products to customers, in time and at minimum cost.
In this workshop, we’ll present a few transport planning tools and discuss the operational factors with the greatest impact on transport costs and efficiency. In addition, a few real cases of forest companies implementing central truck scheduling and dispatching in Australia and New Zealand will be presented, which will be the basis to discuss the challenges and opportunities when adopting operational transport planning tools.
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
WoodFlow 2018 offers a tremendous opportunity for companies involved in wood harvesting, transport and logistics to maximise their exposure to the New Zealand and Australian industries. The last FIEA event aligned to this two-yearly series, HarvestTECH 2017, exhibition space SOLD OUT two months before the event ran.
FIEA has earned a well-deserved reputation over 20 years of providing both event sponsors and exhibitors with a unique independent platform for promoting their products and services to forestry and wood products companies in this region. Details for sponsorship and exhibiting at the Woodflow 2018 technology series have now been sent out to all key product and service suppliers to forest management, harvest planning, wood transport and logistics companies.
To ensure you get a place at either event, if you’d like further information or if you haven’t yet seen a Sponsorship & Exhibition Pack for Woodflow 2018, please add your details in the form on the right or contact Gordon Thomson, Sponsorship Manager, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Distinction Rotorua Hotel, NEW ZEALAND
390 Fenton Street, Rotorua, New Zealand
With its beautiful garden setting and located just minutes from the city centre, Distinction Rotorua Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind after a big day at the conference.
After the event, this hotel is also a great base to enjoy the wealth of attractions and activities Rotorua has to offer. Free car parking is available at the venue, however, spaces are limited and hotel guests take priority.
Special accommodation rates (incl. GST):
- Superior Room | $160 per room/night (single, double or twin share)
- Deluxe Room | $180 per room/night (single, double or twin share)
- Hotel Suites | $240 per room/night (single or double share)
Bayview Eden Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
6 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC, Australia Perfectly positioned for business and pleasure.
Bayview Eden Melbourne is located adjacent to the beautiful Albert Park Lake & Golf Course and close to all Melbourne has to offer.
The following special accommodation rates are available to delegates:
- Superior King Room | 162 per room/night
Standard From 12 May 2018
$970+ GST Per Person
Group (3-5) 3 to 5 Attendees
$770+ GST Per Person
Group (6+) Min 6 Attendees
$590+ GST Per Person
Association With Discount Code
$850+ GST Per Person
Early-Bird Ending 11 May 2018
$890+ GST Per Person
Pre-Conference Workshops: The workshops can be selected when registering for the Conference. Spaces are limited.
- All prices exclude 15% GST for the New Zealand event and 10% GST for the Australian event.
- Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) member discounts of 10-25% apply on ALL listed Conference Rates. FIEA Membership Details and Benefits can be seen on www.fiea.org.nz. Membership status and discounts available can be checked by calling our FIEA offices.
- A credit card fee of 2.5% applies to New Zealand credit card transactions and 2.2% for Australian credit card transactions.
- The Association Rate is available to all Supporting Association Members. A list of Associations can be found via this link. A discount code is required and can be obtained by contacting your Association directly.
- To be eligible for any special rates, registrations and payment must be received on or BEFORE the dates listed. All discounts require payment at time of registration and before the cut-off date in order to receive any discount.
- Any discounts offered (including group discounts) require payment at the time of registration.
- Your conference registration payment covers the morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, a conference handbook and access to presentations (electronic download for those presentations where presenter approval has been given).
- The Pre-Conference Workshops can be selected when registering for the Conference. Only Conference Delegates can register for the workshops. Spaces are limited.
- Cancellation policy: For cancellations made on or before Friday 11 May 2018, a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after this date are non-refundable, however, they are transferrable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
- The organisers reserve the right to change the programme when required.
- Click here for our full terms and conditions.
Since 1998 the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA), a division of Innovatek Ltd, has run an extensive series of technology related events for Australasian forest products companies. Over 200 conferences, trade shows and exhibitions have been run for local companies.
FIEA’s objective is to improve the performance and productive capability of forestry and wood products companies in the region. It is now recognized as one of the most effective information providers for the Australasian forestry & wood products industries.
FIEA Contact Details
(+64) 7 921 1382
1800 126 398 (from Australia)
- Rotorua Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
Building X91, Sala Street,
Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
PO Box 1230,
Rotorua 3040, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 7 921 1382
- Dunedin Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
c/o Distinction Dunedin Hotel,
6 Liverpool Street,
Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
PO Box 904,
Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 3 470 1902
Forest Industry Engineering Association: A division of Innovatek Ltd